S3 & S4 Hospitality
The main purpose of this course is to develop learners’ practical cookery skills and their knowledge and understanding of ingredients and to provide a set of foundation skills for those who wish to progress to professional hospitality courses or work.
The course aims to enable learners to:
- become familiar with a range of cookery skills, food preparation techniques and cookery processes
- understand ingredients from a variety of different sources, their uses and responsible sourcing and sustainability
- understand the impact of the choice of ingredients on health and wellbeing
- follow recipes to produce dishes
- plan and produce meals and present them appropriately
- develop understanding of the importance of food safety and hygiene and work safely and hygienically.
We cook almost every lesson; this is a very practical course set against industry standard. It is physically demanding and we work at a very fast pace. Results are immediate and of course you get to take all the food home! Examples of dishes we make are sponge cakes, meringues, biscuits, béchamel sauces, work with meat and fish, soups, curries, breads, pastries, profiteroles and quiches. We also spend time on cake decoration, chocolate work, garnish techniques and sugar skills.