S5 & S6 Art & Design
"I begin with an idea and then it becomes something else" (Pablo Picasso)
Higher Art and Design provides opportunities for you to develop aesthetic understanding, creativity and visual awareness, knowledge and appreciation. It encourages you to use a range of media and technology, and promotes creative thinking, encourages independent thought, initiative, innovation, problem solving and the development of personal opinions.
The Higher Art and Design Course promotes opportunities for you to express yourself, solve visual and functional problems and work directly with materials and equipment in challenging and satisfying ways. The Course offers you the opportunity to make choices and negotiate the content and context of your work. It provides insights into cultural heritage, in particular developing an appreciation of the visual arts and design, and stimulates your awareness of the significance of visual imagery as a major means of communication. In addition, it assists you to arrive at informed personal opinions.
Course Assessment Specification
Course assessment is based on two components:
- Component 1 - Practical Folio : Expressive and Design Activity. (Coursework)
- Component 2 - Question Paper : Critical Studies. (Exam : 90 minutes)
Component 1: Portfolio
The Practical Folio consists of two sections, and has a total of 160 marks. Section A is the Expressive Activity, and Section B is the Design Activity.
Section A, titled ‘Expressive Folio’, will have 80 marks.
Marks will be awarded for:
- further developing an initial idea in 2D and/or 3D formats, and showing your ability to creatively respond to a negotiated expressive theme/stimuli
- producing a final piece of expressive art in either 2D or 3D format as appropriate, which shows your ability to recognise your idea and produce a creative piece of expressive art work
- writing a critical evaluation of the final piece of expressive art work, reflecting on the impact of your creative choices and decisions on the final art work
Section B, titled ‘Design Folio’, will have 80 marks.
Marks will be awarded for:
- further developing the initial idea in 2D and/or 3D formats, and showing your ability to creatively respond to the challenges, opportunities and requirements of the design brief
- producing a final design solution in either 2D or 3D format as appropriate, showing your ability to recognise your design idea and produce a creative and effective design solution
- writing a critical evaluation of the final design solution, reflecting on the impact of the learner’s design choices and decisions against the requirements of the design brief
Total 160 marks
Expressive and Design Activities will be submitted to SQA as one Practical Folio for external assessment.
Component 2: Question Paper
Written Exam (120 minutes)
Art and Design Studies (60 marks)
The areas of study should be related to those chosen within the Expressive Folio and Design Folio.
You will be required to demonstrate the retention and integration of knowledge, and the application of evaluative and critical skills to respond to a Question Paper set by SQA.
There are two sections to this paper: Section 1 - Art Studies; and Section 2 - Design Studies.
Each section is worth 30 marks.
Candidates should attempt:
- In Section 1 - One full question: part (a) (10 marks) and part (b) (20 marks)
- In Section 2 - One full question: part (a) (10 marks) and part (b) (20 marks)
This assessment will require the you to produce written evidence which demonstrates your knowledge and understanding of selected areas of the Visual Arts and a selected areas of Design. The evidence will also demonstrate research by including relevant factual information and personal judgments.