The Glasgow Academy Story
The Glasgow Academy is an independent day school for pupils aged 3–18. Founded in 1845, it is the oldest continuously independent school in the city. The Academy relocated to Colebrooke Street in 1878, having previously been based at Elmbank Street in the Charing Cross area of the city.
The Academy expanded on its Kelvinbridge site with a new Science block in 1903, the gradual purchase of the former residential homes which form Colebrooke Terrace from 1924, the construction of various new buildings, including the Cargill Hall (1957), Music School (1994), a new Prep School (2008) and the award-winning science and technology building, The Saunders Centre (2015).
In 1991, Glasgow Academy merged with Westbourne School for Girls and became fully co-educational. The Academy is principally located at Kelvinbridge but we also run two satellite schools for Nursery, Kindergarten and P1-4 pupils in Milngavie and Newlands.
The Glasgow Academicals' War Memorial Trust was set up in 1920 as a memorial to the 327 former pupils of the Academy who gave their lives during the 1914-1918 war and the memory of that sacrifice is honoured by our community in various ways and at special events during the year.