Prep 4 at Newlands
P4 children at Newlands have an exciting year - being the top class in our school the children have extra duties and responsibilities. All the children in P4 get the opportunity to be a House Captain and are therefore a mentor to the younger children in our school. Our curriculum at P4 is interesting and wide-ranging.
- We read a variety of challenging texts which further develop our comprehension and interpretation skills
- We concentrate on writing interesting stories using vocabulary, connectives, openers and punctuation
- Our Mathematical skills continue to be developed, using the four basic operations in challenging contexts and working on Shape, Position and Movement and Information Handling topics
- Castles, polar lands, rainforests and Egypt are the various topics we study throughout the year. Maths, language and science are all incorporated into our topic work. The children enjoy researching different aspects of the topics and undertaking the exciting practical work.
- In our computer work we access and use many varying programs to enhance our maths, language and topic work. We incorporate the use of computers in our everyday class work.
- We have twice-weekly French classes.
- We are all members of the P4 Young Enterprise board and decide on our chosen charity for the year. We then work extremely hard raising money in many different ways including 'Dairsie Daft Day' which is an extremely popular event.
- The pupils in P4 take the starring roles in our Christmas Nativity and in our Prize-giving Show.
- They have the chance to learn to play the recorder and, if they wish, the keyboard and clarinet too.
- The pupils in P4 at Newlands have an opportunity to make new friends from Milngavie and Kelvinbridge when all the P4 classes join together once a week for music and PE on the Kelvinbridge campus. This enables a smooth transition to Kelvinbridge for our pupils at the beginning of P5.